Why #StarringJohnCho is so important.

cho
You may have noticed recently that #StarringJohnCho has been trending on every social media platform. Sure, it's funny to look at his face being photoshopped in various movie posters, but there is an important meaning behind it.

The person behind the photo shop is trying to make a point about how Asian-Americans are rarely cast in coveted lead roles (romantic lead, heroic lead, aspirational roles, etc.) in major motion pictures. Many of these roles are reserved for white actors.
It is basically a response to how Hollywood whitewashes roles. It is no secret that Hollywood sometimes casts white actors as Asian characters (need I remind you of the controversy surrounding Emma Stone as Allison Ng in "Aloha?" The same casting happened recently with Scarlett Johansson being cast as Motoko Kusanagi in "Ghost in the Shell."). It is a situation that needs to stop.

So, out of all the Asian-American actors in the world, why choose John Cho? The creator replies that Cho is a successful actor who happens to be a fan of their work.

My Two Cents

I've seen a ton of these posters today. All I gotta say is, I'm a fan. And, I agree with the meaning behind it. The whitewashing in Hollywood needs to stop. My favorite poster that the creators did was "Me Before You." I'd love to see him in that kind of role! He'd make a great leading man.

Photo Credit: AllKPop

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?