The 'S' Word: An update on my spine condition.

positive
Before I begin, I injured my back three and a half years ago. Everyday since the pain began, I've been in moderate to severe pain. Two years ago, I underwent a spinal fusion. Unfortunately, because of my autoimmune diseases, my discs never fused (it's a condition called Pseudoarthrosis, or failed bone growth). I also started gaining weight during this time due to emotional eating (depression), and inactivity.

Today, I had a follow-up with my neurosurgeon and the dreaded 'S' word came up: surgery (Revision Spine Surgery, to be exact). While surgery is just a possibility, it is something that I need to prepare for now. In order for the neurosurgeon to feel comfortable doing the surgery on me, I need to be in "optimal health." That basically means that I need to be as healthy as possible. I do need to lose weight, and in order for me to do that, my diet needs to be ON POINT (no snacking, no crap, none of that). We are talking about only shopping the outer perimeter of the grocery store, and staying far away from processed food (processed food is the enemy).

Food has always been a struggle for me. Right now, I just need to suck it up because this is a fight for the rest of my life (in many, many ways). I promised the neurosurgeon that I would lose at least 10 pounds via diet by September 6 (the follow-up appointment).
I want to be a woman of my word. I refuse to break my promise. I am getting my fat butt back on MyFitnessPal and tracking every calorie I take in (and burn).

I still plan on maintaining some activity. I have a membership to a gym and I do very light workouts twice a week. When I don't go to the gym, I stretch. 

One thing that I need to add about this revision spine surgery is that it comes with more risks than the original fusion.

I have a lot to think about this summer. In the meantime, I am going to continue building this blog and making it better than ever. Having this site makes me happy, and everyone's support makes me excited to share more with you.  :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?