Tiny Home Living: Yurts

yurt
Tiny home living is a movement that I have been fascinated with for a while now. It's been only recently where I have decided that I want to live in a tiny home, when I'm able to (health issues and finances are stalling these plans).

Up until last week, I thought that the only tiny homes that existed were on wheels. WRONG! I watched a documentary and it showed a woman looking for a tiny home. She came across a "Yurt." It was this large, circular building with a white covering. I had never seen anything like it in my life, but I was amazed by how much space there was.
In this specific yurt, there was a kitchen to the back, a sofa in the middle of the room, a fire place, and along the walls were little pod rooms. The pod rooms consisted of bedrooms, storage rooms, and bathrooms. The yurt did not have any electricity or running water. The lady wasn't crazy about the small pod rooms, but she bought the yurt anyway. She made some adjustments, however. She created a loft bedroom that was accessible by steps.

yurt
I did some researching and found that you can build the yurt yourself (you would just pay for the building kit, which would run you about $8,000). Obviously, you would need the land to build it on, and you would need to obey zoning laws. Once a yurt is set up on your land, you can construct the inside however you want. If you want running water, you can have a well put in on your land (or, you can harvest rainwater. This would be the less expensive and more environmentally-friendly way to get water).
Many yurt homeowners have power and have internet. A lot of yurt owners use solar panels, which can be installed next to the yurt.
Sure, a yurt may seem like you're on a never-ending glamping trip, and many people do use yurts to go glamping (there's nothing wrong with that, by the way). However, there are people who use yurts as their residence. People can live comfortably in yurts, in any weather situation, in any part of the world. You don't have to be a "hippie" in order to live simply.

Here is what the kit looks like assembled:
yurt
After the kit is assembled, it's time to get creative. For more information on yurts, visit: http://www.wikihow.com/Live-in-a-Yurt

On a side note, a lot of the documentaries that I've been watching are on Netflix. Just type in "tiny home" and start dreaming! :-)

Now, would I ever live in a yurt? I'm keeping that option open. The only issue I would have is the lack of windows in a yurt. I need to have sunlight to brighten the place.

By the way, can you imagine being in a loft bed under this ceiling window, looking at the stars every night? When do I move in?
yurt

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?