Remembering Prince (1958-2016)

prince
Yesterday, the world darkened in sadness, as purple tears flowed forth from our eyes, dampening our cheeks. The news of Prince's sudden death sent a shockwave across the world.
On April 21, 2016, Prince was found dead at his home in Minnesota. He was 57.

Prince was one of the most iconic musicians to ever grace existence. He was the definition of individuality. His music was poetry, and his very existence was pure artistry. He was one of the very few artists who successfully owned pop, funk, rock, and folk music.

Prince came onto the scene in 1976. In 1979, he released album "Prince." His singles "Why you wanna treat me so bad," and "I wanna be your lover," brought him platinum status out of the gate. Following the success of "Prince," he released 3 more successful albums: "Dirty Mind," "Controversy," and "1999." In 1984, he released his iconic album, "Purple Rain," with his backup band The Revolution. The iconic album became a soundtrack to his film debut in "Purple Rain."
Prince and The Revolution released two more albums before disbanding in 1986. Prince released "Sign o' The Times" in 1987.

In 1991 he introduced The New Power Generation band. Prince changed his stage name in 1993 to an unpronounceable symbol which he referred to as a "love symbol." Between the years of 1994 and 1996, Prince released 5 records. He signed with Arista Records in 1998, and in 2000, he went back to his original stage name, Prince. He released 15 more albums afterward.
His final album, HITnRUN Phase Two, was released on streaming service, Tidal last year.

Not only was Prince known for his sultry and poetic music, he was also known for his attire. Prince had one of the most amazing styles ever. He was untouchable when it came to his creativity, his music, and his legacy.
He will be missed by all.

My Two Cents

I grew up on Prince's music. His music was funky, danceable, and just f*cking amazing. One of the memories I have of his music was watching one of his videos on Pop Up Videos on VH1: "The Most Beautiful Girl." The song always played on there. It was huge that year. Of course, this isn't my earliest memory of his music. "1999," "Purple Rain," and "When Doves Cry," are also music staples of my childhood years. 

When I heard the news of his death, I didn't want to believe it. When it was confirmed that he did pass away, I cried. I felt broken. Not only did I lose my all-time favorite female wrestler Chyna earlier that day, the world lost Prince, one of the most iconic musicians to ever grace existence.

I'm going to come right out and say it: I hate 2016. We have lost so many amazing musicians and we aren't even halfway through this year. This is the year that music died.

Below I am sharing some of my favorite Prince videos.
RIP Prince. Thank you for your 57 years on this planet. You will never be forgotten.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?