Connecticut Governor Malloy bans state-funded travel to NC over anti-LGBT law

post
On Thursday, Connecticut governor Dannel Malloy signed an executive order, banning state funded travel to North Carolina. The decision comes after NC governor McCrory passed an anti-LGBT law, allowing people and businesses to discriminate against those in the LGBT community. Connecticut joins New York State, Boston, MA, and San Francisco in banning travel to North Carolina.

Malloy released a statement, saying:

"When we see discrimination and injustice, we have to act. This law is not just wrong, it poses a public safety risk to Connecticut residents traveling through North Carolina.  That’s why I have signed an executive order banning state-funded travel to the state. Nearly two decades ago, Connecticut was among the first states to pass a comprehensive anti-discrimination law concerning sexual orientation, and three years ago I proudly signed a law adding gender identity and expression to those statutes. We need to do what we can to stand up and act against laws that encourage – as a matter of public policy – discrimination and endangerment of our citizenry."

Malloy also stated that the anti-LGBT law "endangers the welfare of those visiting NC who are in the LGBT community."

Earlier this week, Malloy sent a message to LGBT-frienndly NC businesses, asking them to move to CT.

My Two Cents:

I was born and raised in CT. I have lived here all of my life. I have never been more proud to be a Connecticut citizen than I am right now. I don't like Malloy, but, I was very proud that he made this order.

Thank you, Governor Malloy! You made this citizen proud. Thank you for standing up for my community.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?