Autoimmune Disease Awareness Month: Raynaud's Phenomenon.

raynauds
When someone has Raynaud's, it means that they are experiencing an issue with blood flow. A person's body is not sending adequate amounts of blood flow to the feet and hands. These body parts start to feel extremely cold and numb. This phenomenon typically lasts for only a short time, but in some cases may last for an hour or more.

Raynaud's Phenomenon is not necessarily an autoimmune disease itself, but it could be a precursor to (or a symptom of) several autoimmune diseases, such as: Lupus, Scleroderma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, or Atherosclerosis.

What causes Raynaud's?
There is no actual cause, due to there being so many causes. One of the causes is one I mentioned above: other autoimmune diseases. Some medications could also trigger Raynaud's. Individuals who work with vibrating power tools may end up with this phenomenon. Smoking and frostbite are other possible reasons one may have Raynaud's.
The main thing that causes an attack is exposure to cold.

What are the symptoms of Raynaud's?
-Feeling cold
-Experiencing numbness in the hands and/or feet.
-Fingers and toes turn white and blue.

When blood flow does return, the fingers and toes will start to warm up. A person with Raynaud's may experience throbbing and pain in the toes and fingers as they warm up.
In rare cases, Raynaud's may affect the ears and nose.

How is this phenomenon diagnosed?
Your doctor will perform a physical exam on you. You will have to detail what happens during an attack (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking a photo of your hands and feet during an attack, if you can). Your doctor will order a blood test to rule out other disorders.

Treatment for Raynaud's Phenomenon
There is no cure for Raynaud's. If Raynaud's is caused by another autoimmune disease, symptoms may be relieved by your prescribed medications.
If Raynaud's has manifested on its own, there are things you can do to relieve symptoms and avoid triggers:

-Do not smoke.
-Avoid caffeinated beverages.
-Avoid cold medications that contain the ingredient pseudoephedrine.
-Reduce your stress (meditation, yoga, etc).

If you are still experiencing symptoms, your doctor may prescribe you a calcium channel blocker. This medication will help increase blow flow to your feet and hands, thus relieving the symptoms.

My Story:
I was actually diagnosed with this last year.
For some time, I was noticing that I was becoming increasingly sensitive to the cold. I would notice top half of my fingers turn white with a blue tint, and the rest of my hand would be beat red. My hands would become very painful and numb. I would put them under warm water, or put a heating pad on them in order to warm them up. It took a while. I had no idea what was causing this to happen.
I was sent to a Rheumatologist to get a definitive diagnosis for Lupus, and while I was there, I showed the Rheumatologist a picture of what was happening to my hands. I told him about what would happen, and he told me it was Raynaud's Phenomenon. I didn't have Lupus, but I had Raynaud's, for sure.

(Side story): Yesterday, we had an 80 degree temp day. I actually had a Raynaud's attack! I wasn't stressed out. It just happened. I was struggling to stay warm. It eventually went away, after I put on sweats (on an 80 degree day).

Therefore, while I agree that an attack can happen when exposed to cold, I think it can occur even on warm days. If the breeze blows a certain way, it could trigger an attack. That's probably what happened to me yesterday.

I'm not sure how this phenomenon manifested itself into my life, but with my family being a cesspool of autoimmune diseases, and my having three autoimmune diseases already, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with another diagnosis.

As I have mentioned throughout this month, many people who are afflicted with an autoimmune disease probably have at least 2 or more. It is important for us to understand our diseases and how they may all be connected. It is important to know our family's medical history too.

If you do get a Raynaud's attack, warm yourself up. I recommend having gloves whenever you need to get something out of the refrigerator and freezer. I also recommend wearing dishwashing gloves when you wash dishes.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?