Struggles during the first year of recovery.

struggle
Being a recovering addict can be a time of relief, rejuvenation, and rebirth. You can "tabula rasa" your life and make it what ever you want it to be.

Unfortunately, you will have people in your life who will not quite understand your new change. They may put you down, and try to discourage your journey. You may also have people in your life who may blindside you and use your struggle with substance addiction against you. Early in recovery, these moments could either make you or break you.

I have been clean and sober for four months (tomorrow it will be four months). For the first time in my life, I am thinking clearly, I problem-solve, and I don't search for a quick fix to my problems.

Recently, a couple of my former friends decided to turn their backs on me and they questioned my sobriety. I won't go through what the 'falling out' entailed, but I was extremely upset that they accused me of breaking my sobriety. That was hitting below the belt, and is unforgivable. I was angry at the betrayal. During that time, it would have been easy for me to get into my car and get some alcohol. It would have been the easy way out.

With the way my mind works now, I don't want the easy way out. I want to work through this. I want to handle it: sober. These people are no longer a part of my life, and they will never be welcome in my life. Sure, my friendship with one of them was one that was long-term, but I don't need people in my life who think less of me.

I don't need to prove to anyone who I am, and whether or not I am sober. My family, and my real friends know that I am sober.
I like that I didn't take the easy way out.

For my entire life, I wanted an easy way out of anything that caused me anxiety. I need to weather the storm. I need to handle it like the strong woman I am. It isn't easy. It can be painful, but it is worth it.

To fellow recovering addicts,
Do not let small-minded people steer you away from your progress. Continue on the road to sobriety because it is a glorious road. This first year is hell, I know, but you need to show the devil who is boss.
Stay strong, and keep moving forward. We are in this first year together.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?