(Blog post) Rolling with the punches, despite setbacks.



Good afternoon everyone!

It's been an interesting couple of weeks, but unfortunately, my day job was short-lived. Last week, I went to the doctor for my 1 year post-surgery check up, and the news was not good. My fusion showed very little bone growth, and the bone above my surgery site is sliding. I told my neurosurgeon that I had begun working a part-time job and I had noticed an increase in my pain levels. I told him the pain was especially difficult to deal with after my 8 hour Saturday shifts. He agreed that I should cut that day out. We also discussed me taking it easy for a while. If my back situation does not get better in a few months, we will probably be looking at another surgery.
He diagnosed me with Pseuarthrosis. It's basically a bone fracture that has no chance in getting better without intervention. It's a rare complication for someone my age. It is also known as a "false joint" issue. In most cases, in order to fix it, the surgeon would have to go in and re-do the surgery.

If that wasn't bad enough, I went to call my boss to let him know that I needed to drop my Saturday shift, per my doctor's request. He was not happy. He called me unreliable. He pointed out the fact that I took a day off to go to my doctor's appt in the first place. I told him it was an important appt that was scheduled 6 months ago. I was not going to move my post-surgery check up. I had the doctor appt in writing and gave it to him during my interview, and it was approved. Still, he questioned whether I would need more shifts taken out of my schedule. He said that I am needed at work. I told him I would get all of this in writing from my doctor. My boss wasn't having it, and fired me. It is pretty safe to say that last Friday was the worst day I have had in several years.

I'm trying to not let all of this get to me, but it has been difficult. This is why I have been throwing myself into writing completely. My family recommended that I sign up for disability. It's something that I am looking into, but I am hesitant because I don't want the label of 'Disabled' on me. It makes me feel like I failed as a daughter, friend, granddaughter, and girlfriend.

Anyways, this is what I've been up to lately. I hope everyone is enjoying their week! :-)
-Shauna

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?