Married at First Sight: a reality social experiment


I'm not sure if any of you have seen this show, but channel FYI has this new show called "Married at First Sight." Relationship experts paired up 6 young singles with people who experts believe are their "ideal match." The 6 individuals don't get to meet their "ideal match" until their wedding day.

The pairs say 'I do' and go on their honeymoon. Two of the couples end up getting "close" during the honeymoon, the other couple ends up taking it slow. After the honeymoon, the couples come home and find a place to live.

The experiment lasts about 6 weeks, then the couples sit with the experts and determine whether or not they will stay married or get a divorce.

Let's get to know the couples:
-The first couple, Monet Bell and Vaughn Copeland, have a lot of sexual chemistry. However, they lack communication. When ever they do communicate, they argue. I don't see this couple staying together when the experiment ends. I think they will end up divorcing and becoming fuck buddies. Of course, I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened. I do hope these two stay together.

-Next we have Cortney Hendrix and Jason Carrion. These two had an instant general connection. These two have the greatest chance of staying together after the 6 weeks. They are the rare couple who can meet and instantly know that they are each others "forever." However, their only flaw is their crazy work schedules. Jason has a caring heart, and this has been validated since he is caring for his mom, who has stage four lung cancer.

 -Lastly we have Jamie Otis and Doug Hehner This couple took some time to get a-cookin'. They actually didn't even kiss until the end of the honeymoon. They seem like they are in the early stages of a beautiful relationship. Will they last in a marriage? This one is up in the air. After having a rough upbringing (she and I have that in common), Jamie is holding back a lot. Jamie doesn't want to back peddle and continue the legacy she was born into. Jamie wants to be different and successful (and I get that better than most people, since I had a similar upbringing). At this point, Doug is feeling more for Jamie than Jamie does for Doug. I think we will have to see what happens for this couple, because this could go either way.

-----------------

I've been watching this show since the beginning, only because I find the concept a bit strange. I mean, how can you marry someone you have just met? You don't know where the person has been. Sure, the experts have done their research on your "ideal match," but you don't know if they are messy, in debt, cruel to animals, racist, homophobic, or an evil conservatard. The "match" could hide a lot of shit from you.

Despite my rather unorthodox ways, I do find the concept of marriage important. Having a multiple marriage rap sheet is something I wouldn't be proud of.
I, for one only want to be married once, and have it last until the day I die.

Still, I can't help but watch this show.

[photo credit: warmjello.com, savannah-in-wonderland.blogspot.com]

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?