Say it isn't so! Chocolate could be extinct in 40 years!


According to Business Insider, chocolate could go extinct as early as 2050.

In a 2010 edition of Scientific American, it foretold that deadly fungal diseases could impact cacao plants. And because most cacao plants are restricted to rainforest land 20 degrees on either side of the equator, cacao is also susceptible to global warming.

Mars, the company responsible for everyone's favorite candies: M&Ms and Snickers, will be teaming up with UC Berkley scientists in order to create a disease-resistant cacao plant that has the ability to grow at various elevations in the world. Scientists will be using a gene-editing technology called CRISPR. This is the same gene technology responsible for turning mice feet green in some case studies. One of the scientists behind CRISPR has expressed concern about the consequences of her technology, but she is 'gung-ho' on saving the chocolate.

My Two Cents

I don't know about you guys, but I don't have good feelings about synthetic chocolate. I mean, why would I put synthetic anything in my body, especially something that also turned mice feet green in other studies? If chocolate is not long for this world, then I guess I owe it to chocolate to enjoy the final years we have together.

Chocolate, it's been real!

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?