Mo'Nique gets defensive about her open marriage, saying "it's so not about sex."

MoNique
Photo Credit: cheatsheet
Funny lady Mo'Nique has brought laughter to our hearts for many years. There is one topic, however, that is anything but funny. When Mo'Nique went public about her relatively unconventional marriage, many people took to social media to blast her for her 10 year open marriage. People asked her "why get married if you aren't loyal to your spouse?"
Mo'Nique, 48, talked about her open marriage while visiting Andy Cohen on "Watch What Happens Live."
"The rule is simply honesty. When you start asking people about relationships … What about this one? What about that one? Often times with people we can't say, ‘This is how I'm feeling.' You find out, it's so not about sex. It's so not about, ‘Can you be with other people? It's simply about I won't take any secrets to my grave nor will he take any to his. Now the world took and said, ‘Oh, my God, Mo'Nique will let that man sleep with anybody, because she's a fat girl and he's a beautiful man. I'm like, ‘OK, world. It wasn't his idea. It was mine.'"

She continued:
"[The open marriage] was my idea. When we first had the conversation, it was because I was still in the mindset of 'I'm an entertainer; I'm a performer and I want to have it all.' So I said, 'I want to have an open marriage.' … It was just being able to sit down and have that dialogue to say, 'Hey, let's always make sure we're open and honest.' Now almost 11 years later, of course it's evolved, and it's evolved into this beautiful space of no secrets."

During the segment, Mo'Nique said that everyone should try it at least once and see how it works out for them.

My Two Cents

I love Mo'Nique. I started liking her after seeing her in Phat Girlz. I was, like, "OMG, I love what she is saying. F*** them skinnny b*tches!" When it comes to the open marriage thing, I love that she and her husband have no secrets. I think there are so many marriages out there that suffer under the heavy weight of secrets, and it is great to see a marriage that has no secrets. I do not agree with the open marriage deal, it isn't something that I would personally do. However, I have seen relationships and marriages that work out quite well under open relationships/marriages. There is no general rule that you love one person at a time. Some people have the capacity to be in love with a few people at a time (I don't have that capacity. Hell, I'm loyal even during the 'talking' stage of a budding romance, LOL).

Anyways, I think if the open marriage works for Mo'Nique and her husband, I applaud them. As for us, the avid readers of Pop Culture news, we shouldn't judge what we don't understand.

*mic drop*

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?