Anne Hathaway discusses experiencing Hollywood ageism at 32

In an industry that favors youth over talent, actresses that were born before the Challenger Explosion are now being told that they are too 'over-the-hill' to play young adult characters.

Anne Hathaway, who first drifted onto the scene in "The Princess Diaries," is being told by directors that she, at age 32, is "too old" to play young female characters:

"I can’t complain about it because I benefitted from it. When I was in my early twenties, parts would be written for women in their fifties and I would get them. And now I’m in my early thirties and I’m like, ‘Why did that 24 year old get that part?’ I was that 24 year old once, I can’t be upset about it, it’s the way things are. All I can do right now is think that thankfully you have built up perhaps a little bit of cachet and can tell stories that interest you and if people go to see them you’ll be allowed to make more."

The struggle is real, Annie.

My Two Cents:

The thing that annoys me about Hollywood in this day and age is that Hollywood could care less about talent. I don't know about you, but I don't even know who some of these new actors are (while some do have a little talent, most are forgettable), unless I read something about one and comment on them.
I miss the days when age meant dog sh*t and people got parts because they were good enough for them.

For that small area of Los Angeles that isn't run by ageism, can you please infect the rest of the entertainment industry with your influence? Thank you.

Anyways, I'll see you around the nursing home, Annie!
Time for my sponge bath and glass of prune juice. *grabs walker and shuffles off.*
What time is Matlock on?

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?