What is Crohn's Disease and why the f*ck am I talking about it?

Good afternoon everyone! *waves*

The past couple of years, I have been dealing with a series of health issues. The main one happens to be my spinal condition. Now, it looks like I may have Crohn's Disease.
In 2012, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, and my GI doctor at the time thought that the UC could be a precursor to Crohn's (I was tested inconclusive for Crohn's at the time). He treated me for Colitis (until my medication was discontinued).

Since the time my treatment stopped, I have had some relatively painful flares, but they don't happen too often (maybe 10 to 20 times a year).

Fast forward to present day: I had a routine Colonoscopy (my second one), and the results came back "sufficient" for Crohn's. They want to send my results off to Yale for further investigation. In the meantime, I have to have an x-ray of my small bowel, so they can get a closer look as to what the f*ck is going on down there.

What is Crohn's Disease?

Crohn's Disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease, and can impact any part of the gastrointestinal tract.
This disease is caused by immune, bacterial, and environmental influences. It is also considered hereditary (if the diagnosis is confirmed by Yale, I will be the first in my family to have it).
There is no cure for this disease. Symptoms can be treated with medication and lifestyle changes. Remission occurs with proper treatment, but flare ups can occur at any given time, without advanced warning.
Complications of Crohn's Disease, while rare, can occur. Some of these include:
Cancer
Infection
Abscesses
Obstruction
Fistulae
Malnutrition

For women, Crohn's Disease can make it harder to have children. In men, Crohn's Disease can lower sperm count.

Closing thoughts:

Those that know me IRL know that I already deal with a multitude of other illnesses. I suffer from Celiac disease (diagnosed in 2011 via biopsy and blood test), Bipolar disorder, Colitis, Depression, Panic disorder, lumbar spondylosis, pseudoarthrosis (a complication of my spinal surgery), arthritis, and scoliosis.

I've been a fighter my entire life and I don't plan on stopping. The universe can throw anything at me, and I will still get through it. If Crohn's is confirmed, I will get through it. If I get diagnosed with other stuff, I will get through it. If/When I have another spinal surgery, I will get through it.
There are a lot of sacrifices that I have had to make, especially this year. While it makes me sad to make huge adjustments (i.e. moving out of my boyfriend's house and back home with family while I recover), I have no regrets. If I want any kind of future, I need to fix the here and now.

Those who are going through chronic illnesses and chronic pain, we are some bad a** fighters. While our battle may not be physical, best believe we are strong. Don't let the world get you down. Life is going to get hard (this happens to all of us), but we need to continue our journey.
My stepmother said it best: "Everyday above ground is a good day." I f*cking love that, and I repeat it to myself whenever I'm having a bad day.

If anyone has any questions about Crohn's disease, let me know.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?