The Starbucks cup: What is all the fuss about?

cup
During the last couple of days, social media and news sites have been talking endlessly about the controversy surrounding the red Starbucks cup.

David Burrows, a Christian of the British Parliament, slammed Starbucks for neglecting the Christmas holiday. Burrows believes that Starbucks' cup change is more about becoming politically correct than consumer led.
Starbucks' VP of Design and Content said this about the backlash:
“In the past, we have told stories with our holiday cups designs. This year we wanted to usher in the holidays with a purity of design that welcomes all of our stories.”

Scores of people have come out in defense of Starbucks, reiterating the point that Starbucks is not a religious business, and that it is just a red cup.
What is surprising, however, is that some of the most famous Christians are also coming out in support of Starbucks. Actress/Author Candace Cameron Bure, an outspoken Christian, took to social media to state that she doesn't need a cup to symbolize the love she has for Jesus.

There are people who are boycotting Starbucks, calling it an "anti-Christian institution."

My Two Cents:

PEOPLE! It's just a friggin cup!!
Hell, I been drinking out of red paper (and plastic) cups before Starbucks began offering them.
Even today, I took my work on the road with me so I can get work done in between doctor appointments. I stopped at a Starbucks near the hospital and I didn't feel any different drinking from a red cup. I still felt like me.
In reference to the cup not showing anything about Christmas, I support Starbucks in their cup design. Just because there is no symbolism of Christmas does not mean that they are anti-Christmas. They are a company that is respectful of any and all religions and beliefs. That is how it should be. 
I know I will get some flack for what I am about to say, but I don't care: I think this world would be a better place if we were all respectful of one another's beliefs.

Oh, speaking of holidays, it is okay for you all to say: Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, etc, etc to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?