Donald Trump focuses on mental illness instead of gun control following Texas tragedy.

dt
On Sunday, a man walked into a Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas and opened fire, killing 26 men, women, and children. The shooter, Devin Patrick Kelley, had a long history of assault. In 2012, Kelley was court-martialed on charges of assaulting both his wife and child. Kelley was sentenced to 12 months of confinement. There are reports that Kelley's former in-laws were members of the Church he opened fire in.

Donald Trump gave his two cents on Monday morning, both on Twitter and during a news conference while in Japan. Along with expressing his thoughts and prayers, Trump also said the following:
"This isn’t a guns situation. (He is a) very deranged individual [with] a lot of problems over a long period of time."
 My Two Cents

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I sort of agree with Trump blaming mental illness in this situation. What I don't agree with is his comment about this not being a gun situation. In fact, this is both a guns and mental illness situation. If this individual was so mentally deranged, why did he have access to a gun? Shouldn't we be making the gun laws stricter, in terms of not allowing folks with mental illness to carry guns?
Before some of you jump down my throat, I have been battling both depression and bipolar disorder for most of my life. Even though my symptoms have been under control for a very long time, I wouldn't dream of going near a gun.
Those of us with mental illness can be impulsive when our symptoms arise. This is the exact reason why those with mental illness should not have access to weapons, especially guns.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this tragedy. Praying for God's strength and protection to be over the Church members and their families during this time.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?