Examiner.com closing on July 10. What do you do next?

ex
Photo Credit: ColoradoWine
Those of us who have been web writing for a while have probably written for Examiner. Examiner is a site that allows novice or professional writers to apply and share content on a specified topic.

Unfortunately, the site has made the abrupt decision to close. With YCN!, Helium, Bubblews, and others shutting down in the last few years, web writers are definitely feeling the effects of Examiner closing up shop.
I was hit hard personally, emotionally, and financially by all of these closings. Hearing about Examiner shutting down was pretty unexpected. I began writing for Examiner a few years ago. I was the NY Psychology/Relationship Examiner. While I didn't make much money on that site, I enjoyed the challenge of writing for such a popular site.

When I received the following email, my heart dropped.
"Media consumption has transformed dramatically over the years and our content initiatives have shifted with business priorities. To that end, we regret to inform you that Examiner.com has made the difficult decision to shut down operations. The Examiner.com website will close down on or around July 10, 2016."
With all of these sites closing down, what are our options? Many have turned to content mills to find clients to write for. Some have gone into the workforce. Some have retired. Some are writing books, and some are doing direct sales like Tastefully Simple or Avon. A few of us have found success sharing content on our own sites.
If you do go into blogging full-time, it is important that you familiarize yourself with Google AdSense, Chitika, Rakuten, and others. These sites are what makes you money. I have to warn you, applying for Google AdSense can be tough, but it's worth it, trust me.

I know many of you are at a fork in the road. What do you want to do? If you want to write for yourself (blogging), make sure you salvage all of your work from Examiner before it closes.

To my fellow Examiners, I know how much this sucks. As I mentioned before, save your work ASAP! You can use it on your own site, or you can keep it in your portfolio for your next big break (which WILL come). Whatever you do, I wish you the absolute best! <3

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?