Woman left at the alter fights heartache with "Trash The Dress" photo shoot.

photo credit: Elizabeth Hoard

We all look forward to the day when we can commit ourselves, in holy matrimony, to the one we love. However, when you're left at the alter, your hopes and dreams of a long future with your love are shattered, and you are left completely broken. Not only are you left feeling betrayed, you are also left with the reprecussions of canceling a wedding at the last minute. It is a daunting time.

Shelby Swink was in said situation.
photo credit: Elizabeth Hoard

Her dream wedding was set to happen on November 1. Five days before the wedding, her husband-to-be got cold feet, decided he didn't love her anymore, and dumped her. She had to cancel everything. She was also stuck with a wedding dress that she could not return to the store (do to the fact that it was altered to fit her).
Her friends and family rallied to support her and a few people brought up the idea to trash the wedding dress. Even though ruining the wedding dress would upset her mother, she decided to do it anyway.

Swink grabbed her wedding party, and in their wedding attire, doused themselves in paint and feathers. Photographer Elizabeth Hoard captured the entire thing.
Swink said that the activity was "liberating and cathartic." She stated that when the paint hit the dress, she was free. All of her disappointment was gone and she was her old self again.
"We all face adversity in our lives, but what really defines us is how we decide to overcome that adversity. I decided that I will not let this tragedy and heartbreak consume me and bring me down in life. I have come out of this experience a stronger and better person, and I am excited for the future." -Shelby Swink
My Two Cents:
I freaking love this! This young woman took a situation that was emotionally crippling, and liberated herself from it. She chose herself over being emotionally crippled by the groom who left her. In a way, she married herself, with a little help from her loved ones.

This woman is freaking inspiring. I know some of you are thinking that she ruined a very expensive dress. However, in a way, she didn't. She can look at the dress and look back on the day when she said: "You have no power here, douchebag. I choose myself over your cowardness."

Shelby Swink, I salute you! You are my hero! Get it gurl!
photo credit: Elizabeth Hoard

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?