Regarding Naya Rivera's "showering" remark

photo credit: aceshowbiz

I know I'm a little late to the anti-Naya Rivera party, but I was busy taking a shower. Yeah, since us white folk seem to shower a lot, you know? *sarcasm*

Anyways, for those who haven't heard about this whole "foot in mouth" disease that Ms. Rivera has going on, well, she made a remark that has everyone in a massive sh*t storm.

Naya Rivera was a guest co-host on "The View" recently. The moderator on the show, Nicolle Wallace, mentioned that she showers about three times a day.

Naya Rivera chimed in, saying:
"I think that white people shower a lot more than ethnic. I feel like showering more than once a day or every day is such a white people thing."

Of course, the audience was stunned. Rivera did not back down from the standstill, however. She continued her little pearls of wisdom:
"My mom is half black, half Puerto Rican. She showers every day, so I can say this (apparently she's allowing herself to be a tad racist and uneducated here). But I'm now marrried to a white man, and he showers a lot, like two, three times a day. I'm like, 'What are you doing?'"

 

My Two Cents:
Let's see, where do I begin with this. First off, I didn't know that personal hygiene had different rules for people. I didn't know that we showered more. I thought it was all equal. I mean, doesn't everyone shower (at least) once a day?
I know that I don't want to be carrying the previous day's stank into the next day. I shower every day because it's good hygiene. Hey, sometimes I get real crazy and shower twice a day (who doesn't like a nice hot shower?).
As for Rivera allowing herself the luxury of spilling her opinions to the masses, I find her logic incredibly naive and racist. In fact, I'm not even sure where she is pointing her racism at: white people or ethnic people? Either she is saying that we are obsessive compulsive, or that ethnic folks don't have hygiene. Either way, it's racist.

Rivera did issue a response to all the criticism she has received. She said that it was just a joke. Then she tweeted the following:

"When you get out of the shower today, get a sense of humor. Love ya!"

Ms. Rivera, I'm sure the California drought thanks you for your contribution and not showering every day. However, I'm pretty sure those around you aren't so thankful.

Hygiene is beauty, honey.

One more thing, Ms. Rivera:

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?