Chesterfield woman cons co-workers out of thousands of dollars by pretending daughter had cancer

photo credit: Chesterfield police via WFSB

A woman in Chesterfield, Virginia pretended that her daughter had terminal cancer in order to collect donations.

Katie H. Patterson, 26, defrauded her co-workers into donating over $2,000 by telling them that her 4 year old was dying from Leukemia. She told her co-workers that the money would go toward doctor visits, medication and food.
A friend of one of Patterson's co-workers began to suspect that something was off when she saw the 4 year old in public.

"Since she was familiar with what was reported she knew the little girl should be very sick and ill. She didn't look that way, she looked pretty healthy, so she started to get suspicious."
 -Chesterfield police statement

Patterson was confronted and she then admitted that the four year old was not sick. She made up the story because she was dealing with financial difficulties. When she started the lie, the whole thing snowballed. Patterson then quit her job.

At least 3 of Patterson's former co-workers came forward and Patterson was arrested.

My Two Cents:
People like Patterson make me sick. I don't know which is worse: Patterson conning her co-workers out of their hard earned money, or bringing her daughter into the mess and telling people she had terminal cancer.
I understand dealing with financial hardships. Many of us are going through hardships at this time. The economy is not in good shape. However, the millions of us in financial hardships do not fake cancer in order to con people out of their hard earned money. Only sub-human sewer rats do that.
If she were suffering serious money issues, she could always get a second job. They aren't hard to find. Unfortunately, she lacks a brain, a heart, and common sense.

Look, I am dealing with a lot of legitimate health issues (and some financial hardships), but one thing I do not do is take charity. I try and make my own way. Even though I cannot work jobs outside of the home, I find ways to earn money at home. I am able to pay my bills and get what ever I need. I have been writing full time for nearly two years, and I have made money. I could have easily made a gofundme page and asked for money, but I feel that my situation is not serious enough to ask for money from strangers. Besides, I like to work. I like having a purpose in life. I love to write.

Patterson is an evil and manipulative woman, and no situation in this world warrants her behavior. I hope her four year old is placed with a family that has morals and standards. As for Patterson, I hope she is put away for a long time, and I hope she is forced to pay back the money she stole from her co-workers, plus more for pain and suffering. I also feel that she needs to donate money to cancer charities. She is an insult to humanity. My heart goes out to the people she conned. May justice be served.

Both my parents have battled cancer. My grandfather battled cancer. I've lost classmates to cancer, and a very good friend of mine is currently battling cancer. Telling people your daughter has cancer (when she does not), is absolutely despicable.
What do you think? Should she be jailed and forced to pay back the money she stole, plus pain and suffering?

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?