Actress Mayim Bialik accused of victim-blaming in NYT Op-Ed.

bialik
Photo Credit: CNN
Many of us have heard about the 4+ women who have come forward, accusing Harvey Weinstein of rape and sexual assault. Hollywood has become very vocal about the issue, most are scolding Weinstein, while others, such as "Big Bang Theory" star Mayim Bialik, have come to his aid.
Bialik recently put forth an Op-Ed in NYT, where she stated that she was "shocked and disgusted" by the accusations. She also said she was not surprised by the accusations:
"I quickly learned even as a preteen actress that young girls with doe eyes and pouty lips who spoke in a high register were favoured for roles by the powerful men who made those decisions. I have decided that my sexual self is best reserved for private situations with those I am most intimate with. I dress modestly. I don't act flirtatiously with men as a policy."
Her Hollywood peers clapped back at her comments. Actress Patricia Arquette went on Twitter and said this:
"@missmayim I have to say I was dress non provocatively at 12 walking home from school when men masturbated at me. It's not the clothes."
Since the accusations have come out, Harvey Weinstein has been removed from the Academy, and has been fired from the company he founded.

My Two Cents

It is true, young women who are considered attractive by men in Hollywood do get the better roles. However, stating that the only women who get sexually assaulted or raped are the ones who dress provocatively is just wrong. You can be dressed in sweats, and a man with a diseased mind can still come after you.
It doesn't matter if you are runway model attractive, moderately attractive, or society's definition of unattractive, no one is safe from the diseased mind of a male rapist.

Mayim Bialik, I have been a fan of yours since the very early 1990s, when I spent my teen years watching Blossom. You are very intelligent and have done well for yourself. Sadly, I find your Op-Ed to be inaccurate. If you look at the news stories, and statistics of victims, not all of them were dressed provocatively.

If we as a society are to fix the problem, victim-blaming is not the way to go.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?