Why "Hurry up and Get Married" is something you should NOT say to a woman.


Those of us who are in our 30s (or mid-to-late 20s) have probably been asked the all-important and intrusive cluster of questions: "How's your love life?" "You need to hurry up and get married!" "You need to have kids before it's too late." We roll our eyes, and try not to claw out the eyes of the person intruding on your lack of a love life.
I was 25 when people began grilling me about my lack of a love life. I had never been in a relationship before. I had dated guys, but, the guys weren't interested in getting to know me better. I constantly suffered from a broken heart. When people asked about my love life, or when I was going to get married, it made me want to choke slam somebody against the wall.
I was always the token single girl in my group of friends. Everyone else was getting married and having kids. While I was very happy for my friends, it did make me sad to see everyone moving forward while I stayed in the same place.

Many single women can testify to having those same feelings. They get annoyed when people grill them about their love life. What is it about reaching a certain age, and people pushing you to get married and having kids? Is that all we are good for? Shouldn't there be more to life than getting married on society's schedule and having kids on society's schedule? What about being ready for 'the one' to come into our lives? What about meeting the right person and falling in love? Why does everything have to happen in our twenties (as society wants)?

I'm 31 years old, and 2.5 years into my first serious relationship. Funny part is, I don't get harassed about marriage nearly as much as I did when I was single. Do people think that a couple that are serious about each other and are living together will eventually get married? Is that why people don't say a word? Perhaps. Is marriage something I'm actually ready for? Yes and No.
I'm not in any hurry to get married because I just had surgery to correct spinal stenosis. I want to recover from surgery, get back into the working world, and be able to take care of myself before I tie the noose. Right now, I'm happy with the way things are in my relationship. 

If only society could think about another persons' happiness rather than some time stamp as to when people SHOULD get married and have kids, people wouldn't be as pressured to get married before they are ready. I know that 70 years ago, any woman that was over 25 and single were called "barron" and "spinsters." It's 2014, I'd like to think that we've become more progressive when it comes to marriage and kids. I'd like to think that there was no regulated time stamp for women to get married.
If you have a single friend in their late 20s, 30s, 40s, etc, don't pity them. Don't set them up if they don't want to be set up. Treat them like you did before you got married. Don't ignore them or isolate them. Make time for them. Don't rush them to join the married club. It isn't their time yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?