#WomensMarch makes HERstory over the weekend.

womensmarch
Photo Credit: nydailynews
Immediately following the inauguration of Donald Trump, women all over the country planned to march for women's rights. Donald Trump is well-known for his disdain toward women (he has said time and time again that he wants to repeal Roe VS Wade, and his followers want him to take away a woman's right to vote), and in protest of his presidency, women and men marched on Saturday.

The Women's March ended up being the largest one-day protest in US History, smashing records set by the Martin Luther King Jr. "I have a dream" speech, Anti-Nuclear March in NYC, and the Iraq War protests.
When all was said and done, it is estimated that over 3.1 million women and men marched for women's rights.

Many celebrities joined in on the protest, including Ashley Judd, Connie Briton, Miley Cyrus, and Madonna. Madonna made news with her colorful speech at one protest rally. She ended up getting a lot of flack for saying that someone should blow up the White House.

America wasn't the only country who joined in on the Women's March. Many countries all over the world joined in protest of (president) Trump.

It's important to note that zero people were arrested during Saturday's Women's March.

My Two Cents

Due to my health issues, I was unable to join in on the March. I was wishing badly I could be at the one in Hartford, CT, but I was having trouble walking. I later found out that 10,000 people Marched in Hartford, CT! Amazing numbers! So proud!

I was so proud of all the work that people were doing at these Marches. It was peaceful, moving, and effective. It made me proud to be a woman. While the March fell on deaf ears (re: trump and his minions), it still showed that we women, across the country, are in solidarity, and we don't want our rights taken away.

The March actually made me think of suffragists from 100 years ago. They fought tooth and nail for our rights. I think they would be proud of how strong women are today. We will fight to keep our rights, and we do so quietly, yet effectively.

To the women and men who participated in the Women's March Saturday, if any of you see this, Thank You. My heart expands when I think of what you did.

Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?