Remembering the iconic Alan Thicke 1947-2016

alanthicke
Photo Credit: thewrap
A few days ago, news broke that one of the most beloved TV dads ever had suddenly passed away. Alan Thicke, who played Dr. Jason Seaver on hit 80s TV show Growing Pains, was playing hockey with his son when he suffered a heart attack. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was 69. The news of his sudden death sent shockwaves across the world. Millions of Thicke's fans tweeted and messaged their condolences and absolute shock regarding his death.

Thicke's TV wife and TV kids expressed their sadness that their TV dad had died. Kirk Cameron, who played Mike Seaver on Growing Pains said this about the news:
"I spent Monday through Friday for seven important years with Alan Thicke as my 'TV dad.' I'm shocked and truly heartbroken today at the news of his death. Alan was a generous, kind and loving man. I am so blessed to have grown up with him. Chelsea and I send our love and prayers to his family tonight. We will cherish the memories... 'sharing the laughter and love.'"
Ashley Johnson, who played the youngest Seaver child, was the first to express her grief over the loss of Alan Thicke:
"There is a sacredness in tears...They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love."
Tracey Gold also paid tribute to Alan Thicke:
"I am in absolute shock and so unbelievably sad. In 1985 The Seavers became a family and Alan was our patriarch. I looked up to Alan and admired him greatly. I always listened to his advice and wisdom. He was so kind and warm and always made me laugh. He was incredibly proud that our Growing Pains days were about family, all our families. He was truly an amazing father. His sons were his world. Our Growing Pains Family is hurting today and that will not go away anytime soon. He was so full of life. I thought we had so much time. I'm not ready to say goodbye. I am so honored to have been his daughter for seven beautiful years. I love you Alan and will miss you forever."
Alan Thicke was recently seen on an episode of Fuller House, playing DJ Tanner's much-older date Mike. Candace Cameron Bure (younger sister of Kirk Cameron, who played Mike Seaver on Growing Pains) posted her tribute to Alan Thicke:
"I'm sad beyond words that Alan Thicke has passed away. I've known you since I was 8 years old and so glad I had the pleasure of working with you again so recently on Fuller House. You were a part of my family and hockey family. You will be greatly missed. My heart hurts."
My Two Cents

As a kid, I watched a lot of TV. Growing Pains was a show I watched every week while it was still on-air. I loved Thicke's character Jason Seaver. He was an iconic TV dad.
It is important to keep in mind that Alan Thicke was also an accomplished composer and musician. He created the theme songs for Growing Pains, The Facts of Life, and Diff'rent Strokes. Alan Thicke created incredible television, both in front of the camera and behind the scenes.
When I saw the news of his death, I almost didn't believe it. 2016 has taken so many icons. Thicke's death stung pretty badly because I had just seen him on Fuller House.

Alan Thicke, thank you for the legacy you've left behind. Thank you for the TV memories, the laughter, and the love.
My heart goes out to his family during this difficult time. Sending hugs and positive vibes to his family and friends.

alanthickealanthicke


Popular posts from this blog

Powerful Herbs: Thyme

Tiny Home Living: Bodega

Kitchen Nightmares: Which restaurants are still open, and which ones have closed?